I am interested in several research questions that fall broadly under questions of culture, identity, and relationships. These projects are in various stages of progress.
U.S. Social Class shaping of Relationships
- How do social class contexts construct the meaning and function of social class?
- What is the role of loyalty in working class contexts? What is the role of individual rights and preferences in middle contexts?
- How can relationships be leveraged to address issues tied to social class?
Class and Race in the College Experiences
- How do the daily experiences of first-generation and continuing-generation college students differ?
- How do the daily experiences of students who are underrepresented racial minorities differ from college students of other racial identities?
- How do daily college experiences contribute to students’ feelings of belonging and integration into their college environment?
- What strategies are effective in promoting intergroup communication?
- How does intergroup communication affect how people think about the world, their social groups, and the social groups of others. How does it influence behavior?
Conceptions of Loyalty
- How do people understand the concept of loyalty?
Social Class across National Borders
- Is the influence of class on psychology the same across national contexts? Or do social class effects depend on the larger national cultural in which they are situated?